ALL ABOUT FOOD

Last Sunday, we celebrated my mum's BD at Moi Kong Hakka Restaurant. It's her fave. I had been there for about 10 times. Heard that this eatery was also featured in a variety show...... must be good la!

Well.......... sad to say, last week's food wasn't as fantastic compared to my previous visits. Anyway, I am going to blog about the food.

1) Appetiser platter - Hakka deep fried tofu, Oyster and Broccoli, Deep fried fatty pork and Deep Fried Pork Ngoh Hian (Hakka seemed to consist mostly deep fried stuff and pork!) were on this platter. I think it's pretty good cos you can't go very wrong with deep fried food....right? And the dried oysters were big and well marinated. The fatty pork is one of their signature dish................yes............. we always order the fatty pork every time we're there. 7/10

2) Chicken in Rice Wine Soup - This is a Hakka specialty. It's a"must-try" item. The soup was infused in rice wine. Some of us were worried that we might get drunk on the soup. This dish is my 2nd fave cos I love alcohol....hahahaha...... They also have another version lesser soup but I still felt that this is the best! 8/10

3) Hakka Fried Noodles - As usual, my son liked the noodles....in fact he likes most noodles and the likes...... The noodles resembled mini "Mee Poh". This carbo rich dish is considered decent to me....keke...... 7/10

4)Steamed Fish - Nothing special at all............... something I would not order again. I still prefer their Deep Fried Pomfret.....yum! But the fish was flesh and the gravy was also tasty. 6/10

5) Chinese Spinach with sea cucumber and mushroom - The worst dish of all. Hated the bitter spinach....... all of us felt it tasted like mud....not that we have eaten mud before......hee.......... just this strange stony muddy taste.....yucks! But the mushrooms and sea cucumber were ok. 3/10

6) Vege dish - I had forgotten it's name but it looked like "pung cai". The bean sauce and garlic plus a tinge of spiciness made this my fave dish in the restaurant...............super shiok...... I think I finished most of it! 9/10

7) Hakka Deep Fried Pork Balls - See, I told you....Hakkas like pork! I liked meat balls but this wasn't desirable at all......... had a weird porky taste........ but if you dipped it into the garlic chili and sweet sauce, it's still considered edible! 5/10

8) Abacus Yam - This was my 3rd fave dish. Love the spongy abacus yam. Delectable............. the mushrooms and loads of garlic made this another "must-try" dish. Hmmmm......... 8/10

9) Peanut coated Mochi with Seasame filling - A very satisfying dessert....... I liked mochi and this was surprising very good for a Hakka Restaurant........ I always thot that the Japs had the best version! 8/10

Overall, the service were ok even tho' it was full house. I especially liked the lady who refused to sell me the mochi when I wanted to "ta pao" for Gil, Mich & Ken who were waiting for us at our place. She told me that the mochi would not taste good by the time I reached home. I liked her honesty. This shows that they take pride in their cooking! For that, I will be back for more!

After dinner, I took out my cam and started snapping away with my beloved family...........love them! HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAMA!

We met up with Daryl & Rachel for dinner last Thursday at Ju Ju Hokkaido Hot Pot Restaurant (Paradiz Ctr). I really like their service.......very prompt and good. The waiters and waiteresses were always on the look out for customers who needed help. The manager was also a friendly & helpful chap.

But most importantly, the food was good. We had a choice of Chicken, Beef, Fish, Vege, Seafood platters for our individual pots. Tommy, Ra & Daryl had the beef platter. Gil had the chicken. As for me, it definitely seafood! We could also choose the soup base. All of us ordered the clear soup except Tom who wanted to try the creamy soup (milk). No one was brave enough to take the "Ma la" soup.

The thing that got us all so excited was when the food was served. They were placed on pretty plates and the portions were huge! My prawns, mussels, crabs, fish and loads of vege and mushrooms were served on a "ship"! They really knows how to tempt us visually. I remembered I was salivating when I saw the plates of food landing in front of me. After I had gotten over the initial surprise, I am back to my "skeptical" self. Food need to taste good not just look good. I love the egg (an appetiser) most. This cute little egg had the power to make you want to eat a dozen of it!

The dipping sauce, namely, soy sauce, chili & peanut were also poured into interesting tiny glasses. Gil the peanut lover almost gulped down the whole glass of peanut sauce. As for me, I was "drunk" with the sweet tasting soy sauce!

And oh, I did something really silly........ ate a frozen chives wanton thinking that it was an appetiser....haha...... how I know....... frozen stuff also want to serve on nice plate.............. not my fault ok!

As for my seafood, they were rather disappointing as they weren't very fresh. The crab meat break into pieces after it was cooked. And I thot I detected a tinge of "fishiness" in the fish. But the vege and mushrooms compensated for the lack of freshness in my main course. We were also given a glass of plum juice for digestion halfway thru' our meal.......... so considerate hor?

As for desserts, we al felt that on our next visit, we will just stick to ice-cream....haha.....you know what I mean??

On the whole, I enjoyed myself very much. I think it was worth paying $34 for this visually appealing feast. I am missing the egg now................. drool.................. drool some more!

Alright, as I mentioned, this post is all about food. So I am going to dreamland soon.................. and yes..... my Christmas wishes will be up next............. "Yawn"......... bye............. I think I will be dreaming about food!

posted by "Sum" Teacher at 12/15/2007 11:22:00 PM |


0 Comments:


Free Cursors