MELAKA TRIP (1/5/09 - 3/5/09)
I have been rather lazy to blog these days. Thks to Facebook cos it's easier to post pics over there. Ok, on to my short getaway over the weekend. This post will be purely about our trip to Melaka (Malacca....whatever!).

Day 1 - 1/5/09 (Friday)

We set off to Melaka about 7.30am last Friday. Stop at our fave confectionery shop to grab some banana cake for breakfast. Then off we go with Tom's trusty GPS leading us to Melaka (like real!). After about 4 hours, we arrived at our first stop for lunch. After hearing much comments on blogs, we (rather I) planned for us to try the well-known Bibik Neo Restaurant's Nyonya food. I must say I was rather disappointed with the food. Guess with high expectation comes great disappointment! The only think which I thought was nice was the cincalok omelette but most things taste great with eggs anyway! So don't think we will be back here when we visit Melaka again.

We checked into Hotel 96 (wonder if they are affiliated to Hotel 81...haha!) at about 2 pm and lazed around till about 4 pm. We decided to shop at Mahkota Parade Shopping Mall and have our dinner there. Didn't buy much stuff but Tom had his first foot reflexology that evening after much coaxing from us (we told him he needed it...."evil grin"). It was pure torture for my dear hb.... think it would be his first and last try!

We had our dinner at a Char Chan Ting Hong Kong Cafe. It was simple food and we went back to the hotel after a short walk around Palawan Mall. Gil & I had body massages at a parlour next to our hotel while Tom & Jo catch up with their beauty sleep. I didn't know it was Gil's first "skin to skin" massage..... hahaha.... she was shocked and clueless about what to do when she was asked to remove her clothes.....lol! I had to assure her that they would preserved her modesty and cover whatever that needed to be covered but her masseur didn't really do that! Anyway, I enjoyed all the kneading and rubbing. We decided to try their foot reflexology the next day. I had a good rest that night apart from some minor disturbance from Joash.

Day 1 pics


Video of Tom being tortured


Day 2 - 2/5/09 (Saturday)
We woke up at about 8 am to wash up and had our buffet breakfast. It was simple fare and I didn't eat much cos I wanted to save space in my tummy for more yummy treats at Jonker Walk. I was dying to try their Chendol and Laksa.

When we arrived at Jonker Walk, most of the shops were closed so we decided to visit the Baba & Nyonya Heritage Museum first. The "trusty" GPS brought us round and round the street till we stopped to ask for direction. Finally, we managed to find a parking lot and it was right in front of the famous LW Pineapple Tart shop. Yes, we were overwhelmed by the smell of freshly baked tarts. We took pics of the record breaking ginormous Pineapple tart and proceeded to buy boxes of the miniature versions together with other stuff. Then it was on to the street for some shopping and food. We found the much raved bout Jonker 88 Chendol and Baba Laksa. There was already a queue outside the eatery. I didn't think the chendol was super fantastic except for the strong gula melaka taste and I didn't really enjoyed the highly-recommended and over-rated Durian Chendol. But the Baba Laksa was good! I love the gravy and think tuna with laksa really tasted great!

We finally found the museum after walking under the sun for half an hour. Jo was drenched in his perspiration. It was a pity that they didn't allow photography so no pics from the museum unless "someone" decided to post some "illegal" pics on his blog...keke!

After the viewing, I felt rather Nyonyaish. I have always thought that I was 1/8 Peranankan cos I have seen a pic of my great grandma in Peranakan costumes. But after checking with my aunt, I found out I was 1/8 Thai! My GGM used to dress in Peranakan costumes cos she had a neighbour who was a Baba and taught her how to prepare Nyonya food.... no wonder my grandma seemed to be able to prepare some Peranakan cuisine when I was young. Ok, back to the trip, we shopped for a little while more and bought some cute souvenirs as well as the famous Aik Cheong coffee. Overall, I think Jonker Walk is worth the visit especially at night when everything comes alive! Hope we will be back for night visit instead the next time we're here.

Day 2 pics (Part 1)


We left Jonker Wall about 1 pm. My loving hb dropped us ladies at Palawan Mall cos we needed more retail therapy and kindly offered to take care of Jo and get him to nap at the hotel. I loved shopping and chatting with Gil. She was a really great shopping kaki. And she loved trying new food just like me.... we're foodies by nature! We ended up buying beauty products at Guardian! Tom came and picked us up at about 5 pm for dinner.

Dinner was at Capitol Satay Celup Restaurant. When we arrived, there were already people queueing. This famous eatery was so popular that they even had signs put up to warn people of "imitations"...haha! We waited for about an hour before we were brought to a table right in front of the food.... how blessed! This was our best meal for this trip. the peanut sauce was very good and it went well with almost anything except the century eggs. Gil & I liked the meat balls with otahs. We had coconut drink to cool us down after a "heaty" meal. We bought more drinks at a provision shop nearby and Gil had her cold coffee craving fulfilled too. We were back at the hotel earlier than expected and started to take pics of our loot and ourselves! Then it was on to our foot reflexology (my first time!). It wasn't that painful and didn't give me that element of "shiokness' that I had the day before. Think I preferred having a full body massage.

Day 2 pics (Part 2)


Day 3 - 3/5/09 (Sunday)

We woke up at about the same time as the day before and had our last brekkie at the cafe. I had a heavier breakfast cos we had decided to rest at the hotel and drive straight back to Singapore. The road back was pretty heavy for our eyes but we tried to stay awake to make sure Tom was not dozing off. We reached JB about 2.30pm and I hinted to Tom that it was early and how I wished to have my nails done. My ever sweet hb despite being tired out from driving did not protest and drove us to Holiday Plaza to get our nails done (Thks dear!). Gil had hers painted in candy pink for the first time and mine was in dark purple. I have always liked her nails... think she could be some nail model! We were back home before 6 pm.

Day 3 pics


Overall, this trip was mainly an exploring one cos we hadn't visited Melaka for almost 10 years! But it's definitely another place that we will visit again (wish the weather isn't so hot!). And to end this, I want to say a big thank you to my dear hb for driving us around without complaints and taking care of Jo while we ladies get ourselves pampered from head to toes. "Thks dear, more to come ya!"
posted by "Sum" Teacher at 5/06/2009 10:14:00 PM |


0 Comments:


Free Cursors